Eleonore Trefftz started her scientific career in 1948 – the year the Max Planck Society was founded – as a research assistant at the Max Planck Institute for Physics. In 1971 she was appointed Scientific Member of the Institute for Physics and Astrophysics and focused her work on answering theoretical questions in nuclear and molecular physics as well as spectroscopy.
In addition, Eleonore Trefftz pioneered the development of mathematical methods and programming techniques, making an important contribution to the introduction of electronic data processing at the Institute. Eleonore Trefftz was deeply devoted to the both the Institute and her colleagues. It is to her credit that several members of her working group have been appointed to teaching positions in Germany and abroad.
With deep regrets, the Max Planck Society bids farewell to Eleonore Trefftz with great veneration and will always hold the her memory in honor.
President of the Max Planck Society
for the promotion of sciences e. V.